Hebrews 11:1

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Colossians 4:6

Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Pinewood Derby

A few weekends ago Aidan's scout pack had their annual Pinewood Derby. I am going to copy a post my husband wrote for our parents blog:



As most of you know Aidan is in cub scouts. This has been quite a trip for both Aidan and me. Our pack is not very organized, but we think that will change soon. One of the most exciting things cub scouts do is the pine wood derby. That is where we make a gravity race car out of a block of pine. I was really excited about it (I got a new scroll saw out of the deal). This was our first time so we weren't sure how we would do.


Aidan's Car...."Silver Streak!"


Aidan picked out the design, the color (chrome...I do not suggest that color again...did not paint well and attracted every finger print imaginable). The whole project took about 3 weeks. Aidan sanded, painted and put stickers on. I found some websites that had some suggestions to help it go faster. Things like where to put the weight and axle/wheel modifications that would reduce rolling resistance. I had fun. I think Aidan did too...well at least the racing part.

Aidan seems to like it!!!!

Aidan relaxing befor the race...obiously nerves of steel!
Our pack is very small (there is only five of us) so we joined with another local pack to do the derby. There were probably 50 kids in the derby. It was crazy. Ainsley came with us to cheer on her brother. Here are some pictures from the derby....
Cub master explaining the rules

The competition


The track

We have a couple of videos, but due to technical difficulties, we will have to show them later. Needless to say, Aidan got second in our pack and was very excited...so was I. And so was Ainsley.....

Quote of the day..."Dad, I know it doesn't do anything, but I can't take my eyes off it." Aidan talking about his trophy on the way home from the derby.


Sorry to copy something written by my spouse for another forum, but I just haven't thought of much creative to say of late. It has been a long week for no real reason other than my husband has been out evenings entertaining out of town guests to the plant. It has gotten super cold again and I have had a touch of the crud. This winter is starting to run me down but I am looking forward to the break in temperatures coming this weekend. Ainsley's birthday is next weekend so I am trying to organize a small party for her. A few friends and their parents food and cake and playtime for the kiddos. I at least got the invitiations out so I won't have much else to do until late next week. That's it for now. Later taters!

1 comment:

Becca L. said...

Who knew B could be such a writer. Love how he got a new "tool" out of the deal! I often think the scouts have the pinewood derby just for the dads involved. Ours isn't until next month.