As requested by a friend here is the recipe:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups white sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
4 eggs beaten
2 cups butternut squash puree, or pumpkin puree
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup butter softened
1. Grease 2 loaf pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine flours (white and wheat), sugar, baking powder, baking soda. Mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, combine squash, eggs, salt. Add to flour mixture and blend in softened butter.
4. Divide mixture between loaf pans. Bake until golden and cake tester comes out clean., about 1 hour in my oven. Cool.
I have really enjoyed this bread toasted with a little margerine for breakfast and I think it would be yummy with a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. Since the batter is so wet, I am going to try to reducing the amount of butter used and reduce the amount of sugar as well. It is not terribly sweet as is, but I since butternut squash is a bit sweet naturally I thought I could give it a try. My next harvest of squash won't be ready for a few more weeks so I will let you know how it turns out later. By the way,the kids think this is pumpkin bread and gobble it up! I don't know why, but pumpkin tastes better to them than squash. So for now I am going to let them think this is pumpkin.
No comments:
Post a Comment